Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Walking Dead


Volume 1 - Days Gone Bye


Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a little late to the party on this one. Although I'd watched a few episodes of The Walking Dead, I had never read any of the comics. Until now that is! I'm sure you know already, as I go on about him far too much on my blog, but my man is a big comic reader and I asked him if he had something I could read to get me started. He let me borrow Volume 1 of The Walking Dead and I finished it in no time. It really surprised me how much I loved reading it, because I never really got into the tv show.


The book starts with our main character, a cop named Rick. He wakes up in the hospital after being in a coma. There's no sign of anyone, no doctors, nurses, or patients. As he makes his way through the hospital he has his first encounter with the undead, clueless as to what's been going on while he was unconscious. Things are looking pretty bad, and it doesn't look much better outside. Rick quickly heads to his house only to find it empty. His wife, Lori and his son, Clark are nowhere to be found. He suspects they went to Atlanta to be closer to family. He sets out to the city in search of the two, and stumbles upon quite a few zombies. Luckily he is lead out of harm's way by a young boy who takes him to the camp he's staying at nearby. The same camp where Rick is happily reunited with Lori, Clark, and his friend Shane.


From here were are introduced to all the other members of camp, and you also learn more intimate details of what happened between Shane and Lori when they thought Rick was dead. This comic is definitely not your typical zombie story, it's more of a look into the lives of these people and how they've been affected by it all. It simply follows Rick's journey, as stated at the beginning of the comic. I've been told that the tv series isn't much at all like the book, but now that I've started reading it I will probably give the show another try as well. I'm very much looking forward to reading more to find out what happens next with Rick and his family. I didn't even see the ending of Volume 1 coming.


3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed, I hoe you'll read more.

    I used to have volume 1 but I lost like 3 years ago...I don't know what I did with it. :[ Now, it's so expensive & hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Real Queen, The current printing of the volume one trade isn't expensive. It's $10 or $12 just like it's always been. If you mean the actual first issue though, then yeah a first print is pretty expensive, but there's an "Image Firsts" version that came out last year that's around $3.

    Lemme know what you think of volume 2 Betty!

    ReplyDelete