Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bubba Ho-tep (2002)


The King vs The King of the Dead


The most recent addition to my movie collection is Bubba Ho-tep. A comedy/horror about "Elvis", "JFK", and an ancient mummy who steals souls. You can imagine my excitement when I discovered this film. I'm quite the Elivs Presley fan! I saw the trailer yesterday, and rushed out to Hastings last night to buy the dvd. I was thrilled to grab the only copy on the shelf. I came home and turned it on, and I must say, it wasn't exactly what I expected, but I was still very pleased.





Bruce Campbell plays an elderly Elvis, or an impersonator by the name of Sebastian Huff, depending on what you believe. He broke his hip performing some 20 years back, and is now a resident of Shady Rest Nursing Home in Mud Creek, Texas. He spends his time reminiscing, thinking what could have been, and complaining about the strange growth on his dick. His one friend is a black man named Jack, who is convinced he is JFK, and that his assassination was faked and his skin was dyed. Things are pretty boring around Shady Rest, until giant beetles infest the nursing home, and people begin dying mysteriously.




Jack becomes concerned when he notices some strange Egyptian writing on a bathroom stall. He does some research and is certain there is a mummy on the loose, preying on the senior citizens. He attempts to tell Elvis his prediction, but The King is skeptical until he comes face to face with Bubba Ho-tep himself, an ancient mummy rockin' cowboy boots and a hat. Elvis decides he doesn't want to hide, and the two friends set out on a mission to stop the mummy from stealing their souls.




Overall, as a horror fan and Elvis fan, I really enjoyed Bubba Ho-tep. This movie made me laugh, and the ending made me cry. I loved the characters and back-story. It was a very unique idea for a film. I actually felt like I getting a glimpse into the heart and mind of Elvis himself, and it made me root for him even more. If you haven't checked this one out yet, you should definitely give it a try! If nothing else, you'll have a good laugh.


2 comments:

  1. Love this movie! Ossie Davis is great as "JFK"... all his little comments made me laugh so much - "The woman who calls herself my niece...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Would you like a Ding-Dong? Oh, I don't mean mine! I mean a chocolate ding-dong. Of course, mine would be chocolate now that I've been dyed..." LMAO :)

    ReplyDelete